Tips for Tenants



Applying for a property

Found the right property, now you need to complete a Tenancy Application Form. You will need to provide copies of identification to the value of 100 points with your application. Some documentation to make up your 100 point could include, Drivers License, Passport, 2 Utility Accounts, mobile phone account, Credit Card Statement, Bank Statement etc.



A bond payment is required at the commencement of your Tenancy. Your bond payment will be lodged with the Residential Tenancy Bond Authority (RTBA). The bond is held as security against any property damage, undue wear and tear or in the event there is money owing at the end of your Tenancy. Once it is established that all conditions at the end of your Tenancy have been met, the bond will be promptly refunded. The amount of bond payable is specified in the Tenancy Agreement.



Only the people included on your Tenancy Agreement or specified on your rental application form are permitted to reside at the property on a permanent basis. If under any circumstance a Tenant wishes to move in or out, written notification is immediately required. The new Tenants will also be requested to submit a rental application form and go through the approval process prior to moving in. This may also require the proportion of the bond allocation to change between the existing and new Tenant.


Paying the rent

When you sign the Residential Tenancy Agreement, it becomes your legal responsibility to pay your rent to the Landlord in advance. Please ensure that your payments reach us on or before the due date. Kelly Jaye Property Management offers a variety of methods for you to pay your rent, as outlined on your Tenancy Agreement. If you have any problems with your rent payments please notify your Property Manager at the earliest possible time. If you fall into arrears, we will be obligated to follow the procedures outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act to collect the rent on behalf of the landlord.


Inspections – Condition Report and Routine Inspections

A property condition report is used to outline the condition of the property at the commencement of your Tenancy. It also ensures that you are not held responsible for damage at the expiry of your Tenancy that may have been there prior to your occupation. You are required to make comment and additional notes as necessary prior to signing and returning the document to our office. The document will be filed with your Tenancy Agreement and used as evidence of the property condition at the commencement of the Tenancy.

Routine Inspections will be made at regular 6 monthly intervals. The primary role of these inspections is to advise the Landlord of the condition and care of the property and if any maintenance is required. This is an opportunity for you to point out any maintenance required to the property. Photos will be taken by the inspecting Property Manager during the inspection.


Repairs and Maintenance

It is important when you notice any maintenance issues that you inform us in writing as soon as possible. This can be done using the maintenance request form which can be located on our website under 'Tenant Forms'. Kelly Jaye Property Management must obtain permission from the Landlord prior to arranging a trade’s person to carry out the maintenance.

Once the Landlord's approval has been obtained, a work order is forwarded directly to the specific trades person who will then be in direct contact with you to arrange a convenient time to address the approved maintenance.


Emergency Repairs

The legislation is specific about what constitutes an emergency repair. An emergency repair is something that is likely to cause injury, affects your standard of living, or makes the property unsafe or insecure. (For eg. broken or blocked toilet (where there is only 1 toilet, burst or inoperative water service, major leak, dangerous or serious electrical fault). It is important that you know what is classified as an emergency repair so that you are not held liable for the account if the emergency repair is not deemed an emergency.


Ending the Tenancy and vacating the Property

Ensure you speak to your Property Manager and discuss any legal requirements you have when you want to end your Tenancy to comply with the required minimum written notice periods. Once the Property Manager has received and issued your 'Notice of Intention to Vacate or Notice to Leave', you will be contacted and advised of the requirements for handing over the property as vacant possession. Once vacant possession is established (that is, all keys have been returned) then the bond and final inspection can be completed.

Please note: a Property Manager cannot complete the bond and final Inspection until vacant possession has been established. Rent will still be payable until all keys are returned. The bond will only be returned once it has been established that all rent is paid as required and the property has been returned in its original condition as stated in the entry condition report (excluding fair wear and tear) and all applicable invoices have been paid.


Breaking the lease

Your Tenancy Agreement is a legally binding contract and requires a set process to be followed to break any Tenancy Agreement. In the first instance you must contact and inform your Property Manager about your requirement to break your lease. Your Property Manager will then forward to you a 'break lease form' and details of your obligations. Please note that Kelly Jaye Property Management cannot start advertising your property for rent until the 'break lease' form has been finalised and returned to your Property Manager. In accordance with the relevant sections of the Residential Tenancy Act, you will be required to pay all costs incurred as outlined in your break lease form.


Your obligations are as follows:

You are required to pay rent and maintain the condition of the property including gardens until such time as a suitable replacement Tenant is located, approved and occupies the property. Standard Tenant selection procedures apply to all applicants. You will be responsible for a break of lease fee, letting fee and advertising charges (on a pro rata basis) in accordance with the Residential Tenancy Tribunal Guidelines.